The evening started with fans arriving in the rain, and a chilly wind coming off of Lake Michigan seemed to say it was time for some great football.


Joe Stefanski


Greg Wickliffe


Greg Wickliffe is a two-year letterman and team captain for Muskegon. He was an All-O.K. Red and All-Area defensive back as a junior. He is a member of the student council and plans to play college football while studying forensics. He was accompanied by his mother, Duwanda Wickliffe.
Taylor Huizenga


Taylor Huizenga is a first-year starter for the Rockford Rams. He is involved with his church’s youth group, coaches middle school basketball, and is a member of the National Honor Society. Upon graduation, Taylor plans on attending the University of Michigan to pursue a degree in pre-med. He is the son of David and Diane Huizenga.


The first half was exciting, despite there being only 9 points, as Muskegon took a 6-3 lead at halftime. Both teams had chances to score touchdowns, but defenses held strong and kept one another's offense out of the end zone. Muskegon was the first to score in the second half and had a lead of 13-3 going into the fourth quarter. The Rams of Rockford would not lay down, as they came storming back to make it a game. The game changer was when Rockford's Ryan Darby layed out to block a Muskegon punt midway through the fourth quarter, which was recovered on the 24-yard line of Muskegon. It then took just a couple of plays for Muskegon to score a 19-yard touchdown on a pass from quarterback Taylor Masiewicz to Neil VanderLaan. As the Rockford fans rejoiced, they were quickly silenced by a missed extra point attempt. With 5:31 remaining, Muskegon was up 13-9. Muskegon got the ball back and after unsuccessfully gaining yardage, they were forced to punt. Rockford now had the ball at the 45-yard line of Muskegon and was looking to score. Being down by four meant that Rockford had to score a touchdown, and that is exactly what they did. With 14 seconds left in the game Taylor Masiewicz connected with Zach Haugen on a pass that crushed the Big Reds. The Rams held off for a few last second plays and the boys from Rockford held on in a close one.