The 2014 Great American Rivalry Series, presented by the United States Marine Corps, AT&T, Toyota and SAFECO, is featuring fourteen huge games the weekend of September 19/20. These games include:
- National Powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas at Miramar (Miramar, FL)
- Historic South Carolina Rivalry Gaffney vs. Byrnes
- Huge Chicago rivalry St. Rita vs. Mt. Carmel (Chicago, IL)
- Texas Rivalry Canyon vs. Tascosa (Canyon, TX)
- Tarpon Springs vs. Dunedin (Tarpon Springs, FL)
- Apple Valley vs. Victor Valley (Apple Valley, CA)
- Beaumont vs. Banning (Beaumont, CA)
- Brentwood Academy vs. Montgomery Bell (Brentwood, TN)
- Cincinnati power rivalry Colerain vs. Fairfield (Cincinnati, OH)
- Salt Lake City rivalry Highland vs. East (Salt Lake City, UT)
- Connecticut rivalry St. Joseph vs. Fairfield Prep (Trumbull, CT)
- West Des Moines rivalry Valley vs. Dowling (Des Moines, IA) – LIVE BROADCAST
- Massive Indianapolis rivalry Warren Central vs. Ben Davis (Indianapolis, IN)
- Wisconsin rivalry West Allis Central vs. Nathan Hale (West Allis, WI)
- Georgia powerhouses Milton vs. Roswell (Milton, GA)
As part of the Rivalry Series this year, and involving 21 games and 42 schools nationwide the weeks of September 8 and September 15, we have also teamed up with AT&T to conduct “The Great American Rivalry #X Contest”, Presented by “It Can Wait.” If the participating schools are the “loudest” on Twitter between the week leading up to and through the third quarter of their game, their school will be presented the Rivalry Series #X Champion trophy at the game. It’s just that simple. And even better, if the school is the “loudest” among all 42 schools participating, the school will win a live on-campus concert by British Pop Group Rixton .
For the 11th year, the Great American Rivalry Series has selected an exclusive collection of top–notch rivalries across the country, covering 36 states and 92 cities throughout the country. Wrapped in tradition, these annual battles motivate the whole community, celebrating the schools, their teams, and their fans.
Series founder and CEO Rick Ford notes that, “With all the traditions of bonfires, pep rallies, and parades, high school football has brought together communities to watch their teams compete in these classic battles for more than a hundred years. The Rivalry Series was created to celebrate these games.”
You can find more information at GreatAmericanRivalry.com or through the Series’ Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts. Previews and past results will be posted throughout the season with details of the teams and the history of the rivalries, and after the game. Fans can relive the excitement with photo galleries and game recaps.
In games sponsored by the US Marines, the winning teams earn year-long bragging rights, and the Great American Rivalry Series Champions trophy, presented by the Marines. The game’s Most Valuable Player and the top student-athlete from each school are also recognized as part of the series and, for two alumni at each game, the Friday night spotlight will shine again as they are inducted into the 11th class of the Great American Rivalry Series Hall of Fame.
“We are excited to partner once again with the Great American Rivalry Series,” said Leroy Pennington, Marketing Specialist for the United States Marine Corps “The elite status of this Series fits perfectly with the Elite Warrior brand of the Marine Corps and we are proud to stand alongside these outstanding young athletes.”
Fans can add to the intensity of the rivalry via Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram using #GreatAmericanRivalry and #Beat[RivalSchool]. The Series is holding a ‘Fan Photo of the Game’ contest that will take place at every game; each winning fan will be included in the Fan Photo of the Year poll. The winner will be named the Great American Rivalry Fan of the Year!
ABOUT THE GREAT AMERICAN RIVALRY SERIES
In 2004, iHigh, Inc. created the Great American Rivalry Series to celebrate this uniquely American sport and the cultural phenomenon of “Friday Night in America.” The Series has since spotlighted high school football games in nearly 40 states. The Series shines the spotlight on top high school football rivalries across the nation, where long-standing traditions are valued, expectations are sky-high, and fans are committed.